- Identity designer
- Front-end developer
- Print designer
IU Associate Professor of History Konstantin Dierks explores the global reach of the United States between the American Revolution and the American Civil War in this careful curation of materials from the Lilly Library’s collection. The online version of the exhibit offers complete digitized copies of all books and maps in the exhibit, and features an interactive digital map using world maps from the early nineteenth century to trace American diplomatic, military, commercial, missionary, and other activities in the world as they changed over time between the American Revolution and the American Civil War. The collection remains quite relevant as the country confronts current issues of globalization.
Designing the Exhibit
Based on inspiration from similar online exhibits and Indiana University’s branding guidelines at the time, I developed three distinct design solutions for the project.
2Mockups & Illustrations
Once a concept was selected and refined, I drew more mockups for each page type. I photoshopped custom art for many of the exhibit pages and created vector icons for the interactive digital world map.
I designed corresponding print pieces for the exhibit, including postcard invitations, fliers, signage and an in-depth guide to the physical exhibition, which can be viewed in PDF form here.
The digital exhibit was built on the Omeka platform. I coded a responsive site based on a skeleton theme using HTML and CSS.
- Responsive Omeka theme
- Web art
- Exhibit guide
- Exterior building signage
- Konstantin Dierks, Associate Professor of History, principal investigator and exhibit curator
- Michelle Dalmau, Head, Digital Collections Services, Wells Library, Indiana University Libraries
- Erika Dowell, Associate Director and Head of Public Services, Lilly Library, Indiana University Libraries
Development and Design
- Laura Pence, Director of Creative Strategy, Media School, Indiana University
- Will Cowan, Head, Software Development, Library Technologies, Indiana University Libraries
- Shaun Akhtar, Metadata Librarian, Dartmouth College Library
- Lynn Carlson, GIS/Systems Manager, Geological Sciences, Brown University
- Bryan Brown, Geospatial Web Developer for Digital Collections Services, Indiana University Libraries