Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrates 26g
Dietary Fiber 3g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 Tablespooons Manteca (bacon fat)
- 2 pounds Beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Beef bouillon
- 1 splash Red wine
- 3 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- 2 Golden beets, peeled and cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- 2 medium Sweet onions, chopped
- 1 bunch Carrots, sliced into buttons
- 1 cup frozen Peas
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Melt manteca in large pot on medium high heat. Saute beef stew meat until browned. Add water, bouillon, red wine, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, beets, onions, carrots, and a bit more water, if needed. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes (or until everything is tender). Stir in peas and cook until heated through.
- Need dumplings?
1 cup Bisquick
3 Tablespoons Milk
1 Tablespoon Parsley
Mix dumpling ingredients until just blended. Drop spoonfuls on top of stew, cover, and simmer an additional 25 minutes.